Friday, November 24, 2006

Feelin' The Groove

There are few things that can bring a smile to my face the way re-discovering an album that's been collecting dust for a number of years can.

I had a hard time sleeping last night, so as I often do in such situations, I decided to toss on some tunes to soothe the savage beast known as insomnia. While browsing through the collection, I decided on a whim to go with Morcheeba's 1998 release Big Calm.

It's been quite some time since I played this one from beginning to end. I've picked out the occasional track or two to include on mixes for friends, but I'd completely forgotten the mellow charm this album possesses when enjoyed as a unified body of work. Plus, for reasons I've never been able to adequately explain, Skye Edwards' voice still makes me blush a little.

If you haven't yet had the priviledge, I highly recommend giving this album a go. It's at least worthy of a degree of respect for proving that the infamous "sophomore slump" is more of a guideline than a rule.

No comments: